Sunday, January 16, 2011

Program REACH

Today was my first day volunteering at a local orphanage in Suwon through a non-profit organization called Program REACH. The program was started over a year ago by a group of expats, but I only recently found out about it. I got the idea to do some volunteer work a few months ago, so I Googled and was pleasantly surprised to find this right in our neighbourhood.
I teach English to three kids for an hour on Sunday afternoons. There are about 10 volunteers; half teach Wednesday evenings and the other half on Sundays. We share the same kids - the three I teach on Sundays, someone else teaches on Wednesdays, thus we have to coordinate a bit.
They're middle school students and super low level. They mostly want to communicate in Korean; so I'm doing my best to teach them in a mix of basic English and mangled Korean.
Today we played Sight Word BINGO and another game I downloaded from eslprintables.com (an awesome English teaching materials exchange site I’m a member of).
So far, so good.

1 comment: