Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday Afternoon in Suwon

The morning got off to a rough start with me mistakenly thinking I had a meeting in Seoul. After spending 3 entirely unnecessary hours on buses this morning, I encouraged Clark to get me out of the house to keep me from stewing in my self-directed anger for my morning's foolishness.

The weather was nice, so we decided to wander around our neighbourhood. We live in the northern part of Suwon, just a hop, skip, & a jump down the road from Hwaseong Fortress. This is our street.





A little further down is Haenggung (King Jeongjo's secondary palace).



Suwon (well, Korea really) is a strange place ~ a bizarre juxtaposition of the modern, the traditional, and the downright odd.




We got hungry and stopped to eat at one of my favourite restaurants.



And bought some ppeongtwigi (puffed rice snacks) from the ppeongtwigi man for dessert.


Then stopped by the park where all the ajosshi's hang out playing jangji and yutnori.




While I was busy taking these photographs, Clark was getting his foot run over by a character in a motorized wheelchair who was adamant about having the chance to shake my hand and kept shouting "Miss Korea! Miss Korea!" We fled the park soon thereafter.

It was a warm, sunny afternoon and despite my early morning fiasco the day turned out to be a lot of fun. Just ask Logan....

1 comment: