Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho…

It’s off to work I go! It’s the start of the spring semester and after a long hiatus I’m back to work full-time. Well, sort of full-time. I only have classes three days a week J
This semester, I’m teaching a total of 230 students. I have 8 classes, but we only meet once a week, so I’m worried that remembering names is going to prove quite a feat despite the seating charts I’ve devised.
It’s only been a week, but I’m already sounding like a broken record. Eight times last week, I took attendance. Eight times last week, I introduced myself. Eight times last week, I ran through the syllabus. Eight times last week, I….get the picture? It’s a hard life.
All of the students seem nice, and thankfully so, because with the exception of them and the fellow Canadian professor with whom I share an office, my existence is largely overlooked.  (And I might add that while we share an office, our schedules only overlap on one day of the week). Of 150 professors and 110 staff members, the only people who’ve spoken to me are the parking lot attendant, who tried to force me pay even though I have a parking permit; the coffee shop dude, who’s impressed with my ability to say: “hot choco juseyo” and claims I look like some mixed Korean celebrity; and the cafeteria lady, who wrongly accused me of not scanning my card properly.
Don’t get me wrong, though. It’s wonderful to be back at work teaching, and even more wonderful to have the luxury of a job that pays me year ‘round to put in just 96 days of work (more like 83 if taking national holidays into account) with minimal to no supervision.  I’m a happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment